Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Duller than dishwater!

That's what my grandpa used to say. Duller refers to a lack of an ability to shine, and he used this term as an antonym to bright, or intelligent.

I just read an article at http://bit.ly/8cG39 that brought this to mind. I've posted a section below:

Rep. Joe Barton of Texas, who has introduced legislation that would prevent the NCAA from labeling a game a national championship unless it is the outcome of a playoff, bluntly warned Swofford: "If we don't see some action in the next two months, on a voluntary switch to a playoff system, then you will see this bill move."

1998-2005 BCS logo.Image via Wikipedia



If you haven't guessed yet, the House Energy and Commerce Committee - commerce, trade and consumer protection subcommittee has taken up the extremely important issue of destroying the BCS system of crowning a national champion in college football.

Now, don't get me wrong, I do think college football is important. If you haven't been to an SEC football game in October, you haven't seen football! Yes, I know I'm partial, but I also know I'm modestly speaking the truth!

Regardless of your thoughts on the validity of the current BCS system - is there any of you that want your Congress, your House -the people's House, to take up valuable time on this issue when unemployment is at double digit levels? Is this total absurdity, or what? Isn't there at least 1 issue more important for these guys to waste their time on?

I'll leave you with two other sayings from grandpa that sum up Congress - corporately and individually -

If brains was grease, he couldn't slick the head of a pin
Bout as useful as a screendoor on a submarine

Brings me back to my title - Duller than dishwater - grandpa was a wise man.


Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments: